Monday, March 02, 2009

Week 37 Scan

Week 37 scan was a fast and routine checkup. Jimmy was away on business trip so I went alone. I was quite happy that it was a chop chop affair.

At Week 37 Day 0 last Wed, baby was weighing 2.8kg with abdominal circumference of 314mm. He was about 1.5 inches from the birth canal and with contraction, gynae said he will descend within a day, but without contraction, it will still take a while. I lost some weight and was measuring slightly below 60kg, gynae was not worried about it since baby is growing.

I find Dr Chen quite a pro-natural delivery gynae and why do I say that? I was asking him about vaginal checks for dilation as I know other gynaes do the checks to see if cervix is softening and if any dilation is taking place. Not for Dr Chen apparently. He said he will prefer not to check and just monitor using ultrasound and CTG because vaginal checks is causing a lot of unnecessary C-section deliveries which the Ministry of Health is trying to discourage because of the risk involved. Guess I have to be on high alert to my body's signal of labour in this case.

I was also curious about the risk of umbilical cord wrap around the baby's neck in the final weeks to labour. According to Dr Chen, the umbilical cord is usually quite long and the typically loose wraps(even 2 to 3 wraps) around the baby neck is not considered serious as most babies can be delivered smoothly even with the cord wrap around their necks. I was glad he took the effort to allay my doubts and explain things patiently to us throughout the pre-natal checkups. Quite happy with my choice of gynae so far;)

I am now 16 days away from my EDD, can't wait to see my baby;)

No comments: