It started last saturday morning. I woke up with numbness, pin and needles on both of my hands and fingers. Thinking it might be due to me sleeping on my hands, I dismissed the numbness and carried on with my daily activities. As the day progressed, I realised the numbness did not go away as I expected. I began massaging my fingers and stretching my fingers, but to my dismay, nothing seems to make the numbeness go away. With the pain continuing into the night, I started to suspect something is not very right. Jimmy wondered if it was due to water retention but since I have not had any episodes of water retention or swelling in the past. We can't be sure.
Sunday came and I was feeling quite helpless about the finger joint aches. Some church sisters I consulted think it could be water retention but most of them had it around their angles and feet, but not on their fingers. Jimmy observed that my feet looks slightly swollen too but my fingers look normal. By then, the aches around the finger joints has gotten worse and I can't bend my fingers, clench my fist or grip anything without feeling pain. My online research pointed me to the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome which some pregnant women experience due to water retention and the relaxing of joint nerves due to hormonal changes. The simple treatment include increasing fluid intake and cutting back on salt intake. I gobbled down a few cups of water immediately and things seem to improve towards the middle of the night when I can finally clench my right fist with lesser pain. However, even with the slight relief, the joint aches did not go away completely.
I called up Dr Chen's clinic on Monday evening for consultation but was so disappointed when his nurse told me the joint aches is due to water retention and nothing can be done about it, there are no presciption available to treat it. After listening to her, I am almost resigned to the fact that I am going through my last few weeks of pregnancy with finger joint pain and aches.
My help came at 9pm last night when I received a call from the ever comforting Dr Chen who told me the joint pain is due to water retention which can occur on legs and also hands and fingers, and there are 3 treatments available: 1)massage; 2)Apply Cream(available in his clinic) and massage; 3)Take vitamins(which he will prescribe) if all fails. I feel so relieved after hearing from him.
Today is Tuesday and my finger joints on both hands still hurt. I am eagerly waiting for Jimmy to bring back the cream this evening and help me with the finger massage. Till then, I am trying to shake my hands and fingers periodically. Sigh:( Woes of Pregnancy!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment