Thursday, January 22, 2009

Week 32 Scan

Abdominal Cicumference: 278mm
Weight: 2 kg
Liquor: 99mm(normal level)
Placenta: Low lying,Type 1 Placenta Previa

The most amazing part for this Week 32 scan is my baby putting on more weight than me. He grew a good 500g in weight in less than 2 weeks compared to my mere 400g weight increase to 56.4kg. I wonder how he did it? Is he eating into my reserves?

We still cannot make out much from the ultrasound scan despite Dr Chen claiming how sharp the ultraasound pictures are nowadays, and going on to show us our baby's head, stomach, scrotum and kidneys. In the end, we both are left to our own imagination as to how our baby internal organs look like. Well, Jimmy claims that he saw our baby smiling at him during yesterday's scan. For me, I can make nothing out of it. It speaks length about our friendly neigbourhood gynae's ultrasound technology investment.

Another interesting part was how Dr Chen explans the signs of labour to us. He told us to watch out for 4 things:

1. Contractions. If you have more than 5 contractions in an hour, wake your husband up. It feels like tummy pain but it is more painful and does not go away. It is time to go to the hospital.

2. Water Bag Burst. There is approximately 1 litres of fluid we are talking about here and you can't miss that. Wake your husband up and go to hospital.

3. Show. You see blood when you go to toilet. Don't need to panic as this is an early sign of labour and for first timers, there is at least 24 hours before the baby is due. Do not wake your husband up yet and you can wait until morning when the clinic opens to seek an opinion from gynae. However, if the show is accompanied by water bag burst or contractions, go to hospital.

4. Decrease baby movements. If baby moves less than 10 times between 8am to 6pm, do not panic. Go to clinic for consultation first, no need to go to hospital yet.

Well, the only thing that is a little worrying, is my low lying placenta. Yes, it is still low lying at week 32 and Dr Chen told me I am Type 1 placenta previa case. He still sounded encouraging on the possibility of a vaginal birth for my baby but mentioned there is an increased risk of bleeding by natural delivery. I can't help but feel a little concerned hearing this, but before I could think any further, along came these comforting words from Dr Chen: "You can leave the worrying to me. I have documented this and will watch out during labour." Indeed, I will leave the worrying to my trusted gynae and my God who will watch over me and the baby during labour time. My Lord, I know you will keep watch and keep me and my baby safe during labour, we trust in you!

No comments: