Friday, November 14, 2008

Antenatal Exercises

We attended our second antenatal class last evening and the topic was on posture, back care and exercises. It was rather fun to gain some knowledge on good standing, sitting, and lying postures. But the most interesting part was when we got to the exercise portion when I discovered how much of an exercise idiot I was.

It went like this:

Therapist: Ok everyone, please try out the pelvic tilt and tummy tucks exercises...
Me: Dear, am I doing it right?
Jim: I dunno dear, but your arch of your lower back is not moving leh.
Me: Are you sure? Isn't it like that? (as I tried to tilt my pelvis again)

(Therapist walked over)

Therapist: Show me how you do pelvic tilt...
(I tried to tilt my pelvis.)
Me: Is it correct?
Therapist: You are doing the reverse, my dear. Try to slow down and do it again.
(I tried again.)
Therapist: Hmmmm....still doing the reverse...nevermind try the tummy tucks.
(I tried to tuck in my tummy.)
Jim(to the therapist): She is playing cheat. She holds her breath when she tucks in her tummy.
Me: I am not.
Therapist: Tuck in your tummy and speak to me.
Me: I tuck in already.
Jim(to the therapist): See. She is still holding her breath.
Therapist: Try again slowly.
(I tummy tucked again.)
Jim: Ha ha ha. Still holding her breath.
Therapist: Nevermind..(she turned to Jimmy)Btw, you look like an actor.
Jim: Yar. I look like Mr Bean.
Me: Have you seen a Mr Bean this round?
(Giggles from therapist and she walked away.)
Me: Help me, dear. I am not doing it right.
Jim: Hmmmm, it's ok lah, nevermind.

I felt like an idiot as I watched other mummies-to-be tilted their pelvis and tucked their tummy perfectly. Sigh!

The only exercise I excel in that night: the Pelvic Floor Exercise
Me: Dear, I can do the pelvic floor exercise perfectly.
Jim: How?
Me: I tried in the toilet and held back the urine successfully.
Jim: Very good, my dear.

No comments: